The general legal framework regulating the activity of the Romanian police is the Law no. 218 of 23 April 2002 on the organization and functioning of the Romanian Police. The new Status of the police officer, adopted by the Law no. 360/2002, completes and details the provisions on carrying out, within the limits and according to the law, of its activity put in the service of the community.
Hence, art.1 of this law states that the police officer is a public civil servant with special status, armed, wearing uniform and exerting the attributions established by law for the Romanian Police, as the specialized institution service of the State.
The provisions related to police activity, contained sequentially in other laws of organization and functioning of state institutions, were supplemented with special laws aiming at combating a specific type of crime.
A special attention has been paid to modifying and completing the Criminal Code and the Code of Criminal Procedure, the protection of under-cover agents, witness and data, the Law of Local Public Administration, the Law on Combating Organized Crime, as well as the law on combating the crimes involving means of top technology.
The General Inspectorate of the Romanian Police has as main assignements:
- Coordinates and guides the application of the measures on public peace and order, the safety of the citizen, crime prevention and combating, identification and counteracting of the criminals’ actions threatening the life, freedom, health and bodily integrity of the persons, private and public property, as well as other legitimate interests of the community.
- Collaborates with the specialized institutions and authorities of the public central administration from the System for Defense, Public Order and National Security.
- Collaborates with specialized structures from other states and from international organizations on preventing and combating the trans-border crime and supports the establishment of the international police.
- Runs activities of human resources’ management, as previewed by the law.
- Coordinates the activities of international police cooperation.
- Coordinates the internal control- management system.
- Ensure representation, at institutional level, in relationships with public institutions and authorities, collaborates with the chiefs of all the other structures of the Ministry of Internal Affairs for the accomplishment of the tasks and measures mandated by the management of the Ministry of Internal Affairs.
- Coordinates and guides the activity of the police structures, according to the law.