07 May 2014

Short history


The first certification on the Romanian Police dates back to the reign of Neagoe Basarab or Mihai Viteazu (the creation of the Agia's institution), continuing with Mihai Sutzu's reign (the organization of the Capital Guard, the issuance of the first identity documents and the regulation on the possession offire arms) and since 1806, the security and  order authorities from the Capital received the generic name of POLICE.

In 1821, Tudor Vladimirescu granted tax exemptions to those charged with maintaining public order and protecting citizens' property, and, in 1831 the police duties were extended through the Organic Regulations. The police reorganization took place during the Revolution of 1848, through the establishment of the chief of the Romanian Police Institution to wich the Local Police was subordinated.

On June 9, 1850, Prince Ghica Voda issued the "Police Chronicle" which regulated, the tasks of "high police" and "ordinary police", through its 158 articles. This led to the creation of the first central structure with attributions in the organization and coordination of the police activities.

Starting with the Law on the organization of the police made by Alexandru Ioan Cuza (4 November 1860), followed by the Law of Vasile Lasc─âr (April 1, 1903) and by the Law on the Organization of the General Police of the State (8 July 1929), the police competencies were extended and relations between the other institutions of the state where much better regulated.

"Militia" was established by Decree no. 25 of January 23, 1949 and the Romanian Police was re-established by Decree - Law no. 2/27 of December 1989, its competencies being regulated, subsequently, by Law no. 26 of 18 May 1994 and by Law 218 of 23 April 2002.

Since 1990, the Romanian Police have undergone several stages of transformation aimed at ensuring the safety of individuals, communities, legitimate rights of citizens, and other rights provided in international agreements to which Romania is party.